here's a survey. i forgot how to do lj-cuts, so i'm sorry.
hopefully i finish this within the next 12 minutes, because i want to sleep by 2:30.
so here goes.
1. What did you do in 2007 that you'd never done before?
i got a job, i became a real christian instead of a nominal one, i learned how to cook, i took the lsat not once -- but twice, switched from mac to pc, turned 21 and bought wine the next day (for risotto).
2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
i don't know what i made, but if i did, i probably failed. the new one for this year is to not procrastinate in replying to emails. you know, we do things like say 'let's not procrastinate, period.' but we never get around to it. if i start actually replying to emails on time, then that kind of behavior is going to spill over into other areas.
maybe i should start thinking of exercising in small steps...
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
yes, anita and jenny.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
taiwan. although, that's not really a country...
6. What would you like to have in 2008 that you lacked in 2007?
oh, i don't know. being punctual to work, probably. being more friendly.
7. What times from 2007 will remain etched in your memory, and why?
realizing God is love in january, wanting to gouge stuff out in taiwan during june, dallas freeways in july.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
not sure. probably getting an A in chinese politics, since i really liked that class.
9. What was your biggest failure?
flaking out on LSAT #1, wanting to gouge stuff out in taiwan. although, you know, 失败是成功之母 (failure is the mother of all success), so i don't really regard those as failures and am therefore hesitant to even answer this question.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
yeah, a cold. that's only memorable because i got it the week before my LSAT.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
probably the thinkpad, although vista is very much a pain.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
14. Where did most of your money go?
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
seeing yo-yo ma in concert. unfortunately, tickets sold out before a poor schmuck like me even had a chance to buy...this discovery resulted in my crumpling into a screaming heap in a public space.
16. What songs will always remind you of 2007?
you know, the great thing about being in school is that you can always look back and think, "well, this happened in 4th grade, so i was about 11 at the time." that is, when you refer to past memories, it has a date stamp. well, for right now -- it's 2:36 AM (i failed at this '12 minute' thing), i can't separate the school year division from the actual year division.
but i think that i will remember..
gospel music by shai linne and the 116 clique
shadowfeet by brooke fraser
gatekeeper by feist
blackbird by brad mehldau
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? happier
ii. thinner or fatter? probably about the same. i haven't really changed my weight since the 11th grade, which could be a bad thing considering i gained a lot of weight the summer before 10th grade.
iii. richer or poorer? richer
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
i spent it with relatives from indonesia. my dad requested that my mom cook up these canned snails we got from a Korean restaurant. he then encouraged everyone to eat it, only telling them that it was korean food. at the end, he revealed that the mystery meat was snail. i don't know what was funniest -- seeing my cousin laugh, seeing my other cousin get upset, or seeing my aunt and uncle try to mask their displeasure by praising regional snail dishes.
22. Did you fall in love in 2007?
sure. his name is potato puff, and you can find him sitting in a hot bed of oil @ gregoire's on shattuck and vine.
23. How many one-night stands?
24. What was your favorite TV program?
i don't have a tv at berkeley, and i don't watch any here. i kind of forgot i had one.
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
26. What was the best book you read?
the romance of the rose (or roman de la rose) for SURE.
27. What was/were your greatest musical discoveries?
oh, shoot. lecrae for christian hip-hop (no, really), and i was introduced to feist. but to tell you the truth, i'm only crazy about 4 of her songs, and then after that, she kind of bugs me.
28. What did you want and get?
i don't know. i kind of already have what i want. except for a dslr and an adobe package. but those things can certainly wait.
30. What was your favorite film of this year?
i watched raise the red lantern. it was filmed a while ago, but it's really good. really! as one person said, "yeah, it's a great movie, but now i feel hollow inside." so if you're into that, you know what movie to check out now.
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
i turned 21, and i went to tan cang on las tunas in san gabriel. i went especially for the house lobster which was amazing in the past, but more lackluster what with its speedy arrival to our lazy susan. that's just wrong, you know. let the lobster take its time.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
probably getting a great LSAT score, but i'm probably just saying that because of a dream last night that said i was mediocre for getting that score.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2007?
i needed a belt all year and finally got one a month ago. i wore fleece a lot. i like dark colors with bright accents.
34. What kept you sane?
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
hum. i don't know. i really liked jason bateman's acting in juno, but i saw that movie in 2008.
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
以法抗争, 依法抗争, and 捣乱. basically, civic disorder and rightful resistance in china. my interactions with my gsi and this dude named yu jianrong were defining.
37. Who did you miss?
when i am in southern california, i miss northern california, and vice versa.
38. Who was the best new person you met?
i quite like my co-workers, yes.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2007:
He is the end of the law.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
pfft, i honestly hardly listened to music this year due to the computer loss and sheer busyness.